Chaptor One Forum Index Chaptor One
Welcome To The Chaptor One Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UT2003 Beta

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamuraiJake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: UT2003 Beta Reply with quote

Im on a spree! I recently got into contact with someone that is willing to upload and share the infamous UT2003 beta. This one, right next to the UT99 beta, has alot of content that didn't make it into the retail product. I'll give off more information once I actually get it up and running (Still waiting for the guy to upload it).
SamuraiJake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after playing around with the beta for a couple hours last night, here's my rants and observations:

Why in the world did Epic change the playerscale in the final version? The second I loaded up a level I noticed the playerscale and model size was much better then it is in UT2003/04. No longer was I struggling to see a player 5 yards ahead of me on this beta, I wish Epic kept the scale that way.

The maps have undergone quite a few changes, I noticed some levels where even redone in ways that they where almost like new maps. An example of this is CTF-SlaughterHouse. Anyone that has played UT2003's BombingRun gametype would know that this map is originally a BR-only map. However, the beta has both a BR and a CTF version, and that's not all. The retail version has a small outdoor segment that has hardly any purpose than to split the bases apart, while it's the same case in the beta version, the outdoor segment is far bigger and cooler looking. The main way into each base is by crawling through a conveyer belt complete with saw blades and a pile of chopped meat near the blue base. The level even sports saw blade traps near each base entrance, but I couldn't find out how to trigger them.

There are about 4 maps that never made it in the retail version, and only two run properly. I'm not counting the numberous test maps for physics, sounds, and whatnot. One map that struck me the most is CTF-Lethargic. Lethargic is a waste proccesing facility that is used by the Liandri corporation. The map can hold about 8 players decently, at least from what I've tried. Lethargic is highly unfinished (Loads of layout problems and badly placed static meshes), though it's clear as to where the author is taking the theme and layout. The other map is called DM-Molten Foundry, this map is supposed to be a set of sewers for Liandri lead factories. It has more of a cave-feel to it, and is completely free of any z-axis gameplay. It functions, but it's hardly what I'd consider an exciting map.

The weapons are the same one way or the other, they all pretty much act the same as they always have with a little difference in each. I noticed the Redeemer was unfinished and the ShieldGun has a awsome charge-up animation.

More on the maps, some of the maps are maps that appeared in UT2004 (CTF-Smote), some where even renamed (BR-Kalendra=BR-Icefields). Most of the level changes are cosmetic, but some are much easier to spot.

More info to come, I'll post a few shots later on as well.
SamuraiJake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, a crapload of screenshots to show off the most interesting stuff:

A hallway shot of CTF-Lethargic.

Red's flagroom in CTF-Lethargic, blue's flagroom is the same.

Main room in the red base in CTF-SlaughterHouse. Notice that there is frost on the ground, blue's side is the same, except it's a heating room.

Red's side of the conveyer belt.

Inside the grueling conveyer belt.

Blue's side of the conveyer belt, complete with meat pile that leads the players inside the conveyer belt.

Outdoor segment of CTF-SlaughterHouse, you can see the outside of the conveyer belt that's to the right.

Level shot of DM-Molten Foundry, The whole map looks like this. Nothing too spectacular.

That's it for now, I probably won't post anymore screenshots since the rest is nothing too special. However, I will say that I may try to port CTF-Lethargic into UT2004 and fix it up so it actually plays decently. I've attempted to port CTF-SlaughterHouse, but whenever I play it the terrain is missing and a whole ton of graphical glitches appear. Though, if anyone is interested I can give it a shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chaptor One Forum Index -> 2k4 Forums All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: